Your Favourite Properties

T01522 780 020 F01522 780 030


Frequently Asked Questions

What is included in the rent? 

Unless stated otherwise, gas, electricity and water rates apply. Valid students (those studying for more than 20 hours per week) are exempt from Council Tax payments (please note that if you are mixed group of students and professionals charges may apply)

How long is the tenancy?

Tenancies are usually 11 months (48 weeks). However, should you have any particular requirements Lighthouse will be happy to discuss other possibilities.

Are Internet/phone charges included?

Unless stated within your contract these charges are not included. However, Lighthouse does manage a select number of houses that have been networked to receive Internet and phone services; most of these properties will require an account to be set up and we can help you through this process.

Why should I let through you?

You should only let a property through Lighthouse if you feel comfortable that we have shown you a suitable property and that you agree with the terms of the tenancy agreement. We believe that personal recommendations are the most powerful advertising and we do not pressure our applicants into choosing a property that is not suitable.

How do I apply for a property?

After seeing a property on our website, we recommend that you visit the area to ascertain if it is suitable, and then make an appointment to view the property with a representative. If you think the property is the right house for you, you can apply by completing an application form, we will need to carry out quick and simple checks to ensure you have a right to rent a property in this country and a one off fee of £50.00 + VAT will reserve the property for you.  

How do I pay rent?

Payments can be via cash, cheque or card in our office or we are able to take card payments over the telephone (please note credit card payments carry a 3% charge). We do recommend using a standing order method and forms can be collected from our office if not already supplied.

Who can I contact if I have a question?

Our office is the best place to visit or call if you have a question regarding any aspect of your tenancy or maintenance problem.

Who can I contact if I have an emergency?

Lighthouse operates a 24hour emergency call out service that can be contacted through calling our office number. The answerphone message will detail the number to call, but please note that being locked out of your property does not constitute an emergency and a call out charge will apply.


Insurance for Students

It is important to consider your insurance needs when renting a property as you will be liable for any damage to the landlord’s property, fixtures and fittings. Your personal belongings will also not be covered by any insurance held by the landlord. We are Introducers for HomeLet who offer a variety of insurance products designed specifically for the lettings market. Please visit their website for more details.

Students are not required to take out buildings insurance on their rented property, as this will be covered by the landlord. Contact our office for further information.


Quick Search


To the Lighthouse