Your Favourite Properties

T01522 780 020


Right to Rent

2/2/2016 9:32:49 AM

Why do you need to check my immigration status?

The Government has introduced new “Right to Rent” rules under s 22 Immigration Act 2014, which give all landlords a legal duty to check that every tenant has the right to live in the UK.

We need to take copies of documents which prove your nationality, to demonstrate that you have the right to rent a property here in the UK.

Why does this rule affect me?

The same checks apply equally to all adults residing in the property – including British citizens, nationals from the European Economic Area (EEA), and people from elsewhere in the world.

What is the information used for?

The information only helps us as the agent to confirm your legal status. We will not discriminate for or against you because of your nationality. We will not use information for marketing or other purposes.

Why do you take copies of the documents?

We submit your documents for visual and data checks, to confirm they are genuine. We are also obliged by law to keep a copy of your documents for one year after your tenancy has ended.

British citizens and nationals from the European Economic Area (EEA)

If you are British, a citizen of the UK and Colonies with right of abode in the UK or a permanent resident of an EEA country or Switzerland, you automatically have the right to rent in the UK. We do still need to take copies of documents proving your nationality.

Countries in the EEA are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

Nationals from outside the EEA

As well as confirming your nationality, we need to check that you have the right to stay in the UK. If your permission has a time limit, we will need to check it again in future once that time limit has ended or after 12 months, whichever occurs later.

What happens if I cannot provide documents?

We are not permitted to the allow landlord to rent the property to you if you do not have the necessary documents and we will be fined if we do so. We will also need to report your status to the Home Office.

Why do you need to see me?

We must verify identity documents in the presence of the holder of that document. So we need to see every adult resident proposed for the property.

Which documents do you require?

Check out our "Downloads" section to view which documents we can accept.

Quick Search